Random Observation/Comment #599: Don’t just do what you love – work with cool people to do what you love.
Why this list?
What does it mean to love where you work? Is it just the people? The attitude? The free coffee? The bonding?
I’ve been on an incredible journey of joining r3 when it was a 20-person start up with a “Heads down, GSD (Get S#!T Done)” mentality, and growing to a 180+ global company within 2 years. The company is now driven with so much more than just a shared vision and mission – there’s trust, friendship, and true human capital.
Almost everything on this list is something our company has executed internally to build culture and an incredible work environment. Many thanks to Trixze for helping implement and make this my second home.
- Bar3 / blockchain beers – Recurring weekly internal and client-invited happy hour from 4:30-7pm to bond with coworkers and invite friends
- Company-wide Townhalls and stand-ups – Keep the whole company updated on our progress and mission
- Regional holiday parties – Of course!
- Open travel opportunities for client meetings or conferences
- Open slack channels around hobbies and group interests – #photography and #healthy-cooking are my new favorites
- Empowering individuals to create new initiatives like podcasts and videos
- Swag – Stickers, lab coats, t-shirts
- Team outings and team building exercises
- Mentorship programs
- New employee on-boarding activities and checklists
- Empowering individuals to teach and learn random hobbies or interests from colleagues (Yay photography course)
- Group 5k and marathon races
- Group charity events
- External facing meetups – join us for CordaCon in Tokyo! – https://www.corda.net/meetups/
- External newsletter highlighting employees and department achievements
- Internal newsletter highlighting office activities and events
- Monthly birthday and birthday cards
- Weekly work anniversary recognition
- Holiday bbq and get togethers outside of work
- Blockchain brainstorming recurring meetings and thought leadership
- Podcasts and recorded trainings
- Skunkworks groups on projects intersecting with different technologies like Google cardboard VR
- Poker night / Game night
- Contests for winning new office equipment like standing desks
- Movie night
- Speaker series – internal and external
- Sunday ingredients or theme based cooking challenge / Monday lunch taste testing
- Intraday trivia tests with awards at the end of day
- Naming competitions – for new office conference rooms, new projects, and new product offerings
- Corda-themed cakes and pastries (although you may need to travel to the London office for the authentic bakes)
~See Lemons Love Working at R3