Random Observation/Comment #547: Life is a multi-player game.
Challenge Set Up
Complete a different action every weekday for as many days as possible. I posted these on FB as Actions of the Day (AotD) and encourage others to complete the action as well.
Why This Challenge?
Before I learned about micro-resolutions and the you-app, I felt a little slump in my routine – it was like I wasn’t completing anything important for the day. Progress felt slow and also insignificant. I think I was working so closely towards a larger goal that I forgot about all the fun smaller goals along the way. Each day, I wrote a simple action that I could complete and looked to maintain these smaller actions throughout my regular schedule.
- AotD #1: Take 5 minutes and stretch – I was able to continue doing this throughout the week
- AotD #2: Plan 3 things you will get done today and Visualize them being done. Make these tasks realistic.
- AotD #3: Plan a trip you can take in one month
- AotD #4: Read up about a cool new technology topic – I suggest blockchain
- AotD #5: Take a photo with a friend
- AotD #6: Find 3 things in common with a stranger at your next networking event
- AotD #7: Write a journal entry with 3 things you loved about the day
- AotD #8: Take a different commute route to work
- AotD #9: it’s getting cold out. Donate those clothes you don’t wear anymore
- AotD #10: Find a new place to eat for lunch. I suggest Frank’s bbq.
- AotD #11: Contact someone you haven’t spoken to in 3 months
- AotD #12: Write down your Most Important Things. What is this?
- AotD #13: Listen to a new podcast during your commute to work
- AotD #14: Try a new scotch (if you’re into that type of thing)
- AotD #15: Cancel your plans (take a sick day or don’t go to that networking event). You’ve been doing great and need to focus on decompressing today.
- AotD #16: Send a postcard to someone
- AotD #17: Buy your parents a gift and send it to them with a note.
- AotD #18: Share one of your friend’s accomplishments.
- AotD #19: Write a recap and reflection of 2015.
- AotD #21: Don’t eat meat today. Why? It’s good to take a break.
- AotD #20: if you haven’t already, call your parents and tell them you love them
- AotD #22: Learn a new vocabulary word and use it as much as you can in conversation.
- AotD #23: Find out what you can organize in your apartment/house and do it. I threw out all my mismatched socks.
- AotD #24: Write down all the things that stress you out. What’s on your mind and what can you do about them?
- AotD #25: Update your wish list. This is a list of purchases or goals that you’re aiming towards. Maybe you’re saving money to get that new coat or vacation days for that upcoming trip.
- AotD #26: Unsubscribe to email lists you wind up just archiving. If you haven’t opened and learning from one in the past 2 weeks, you don’t need it.
- AotD #27: Surprise your significant other with an experiential gift. This could be a massage or dinner out.
- AotD #28: Plan your 2016 new years resolutions (and how you’ll keep them)
- AotD #29: Write a thank you letter/card to someone at work or at home.
- AotD #30: Write down all the promises you made and try to keep them
- AotD #31: Make a happiness jar and place those Random happy thoughts in there daily. Try to make it a physical jar with handwritten notes. Good memories take 40 seconds to imprint into long term smiles.
- AotD #32: Think about death and being more present. What really matters to you and what micro decisions do you make about time management?
- AotD #33: Plan a curriculum for your self improvement.
- AotD #34: Find a reason to give a high five today and give one to someone. High five!
- AotD #35: Listen to your favorite song. Why is it your favorite? What made it your favorite? When did you last hear it?
- AotD #36: Make plans with someone and actually keep them. See you at spin at noon, tt addicts.
- AotD #37: Sing a song in the shower. Maybe it’s your favorite song. Hopefully it’s bohemian rhapsody.
- AotD #38: Don’t bring your headphones today. Look around and observe.
- AotD #39: Ask for help from a friend. It’s better to be clear about what you’re looking to accomplish and then complete it together #cocreate
- AotD #40: Tweak your routine with experiments. Move all the essentials you need to leave in one place (wallet, keys, metrocard, hat, gloves, backpack, etc) within 5 feet of each other.
- AotD #41: Check up on those new years resolutions. Are you closer with creating positive habits?
- AotD #42: Introduce some spontaneity and randomness to look for improvements in efficiency.
- AotD #43: Learn deeper about your most passionate subject. Befriend someone who also shares this passion.
- AotD #44: Simplify your fashion style. Remove the number of clothing permutations and focus on outfits for occasion.
- AotD #45: Don’t just be a spectator, be a participant. If you ask, your help is usually welcomed.
- AotD #46: Write your new micro resolutions for a new month.
- AotD #47: Take a nap and start over. The day can always restart.
- AotD #48: Fight for your right to party
- AotD #49: Don’t be the first to complain about anything today. You are the still pond reflecting positive energy.
- AotD #50: Ask a silly question. “Why did they make a highway to the danger zone?”
- AotD #51: Fold origami. It’s really relaxing.
The challenge ended arbitrarily, but it has not been forgotten. I think I liked the Questions of the Day a little bit better because it encouraged more interaction and a simpler response. In the long run, I do feel like there have been some great habits that formed from reflecting on my vision of success for the day. The small actions truly do make big changes.
~See Lemons Stay Active